Variant Settings for Archiving (FI-SL)
When creating an archive file, you must enter an existing variant or create a new one. The variant contains the selection criteria for the Special Purpose Ledger summary and/or line-item records that you want to archive.
When creating the archive variant, you determine whether you want to archive line-item records only or both summary and line-item records (mass archiving). The default archiving type is line items only. You can change this default setting by choosing Archiving type.
The entries you make for the archive variant depend on the archiving type you select:
· If you archive line items only, you must make entries for the general selection criteria, document selection criteria, processing options, output options and technical settings.
· If you archive both summary and line-item records, you must make entries for the general selection criteria, processing options, output options and technical settings.
General Selection Criteria
The selection criteria for the summary records and line-item records that you want to archive are the ledger, record type, version, local company, global company, and fiscal year. The period field only appears when you archive line-item records (not for mass archiving).
The period field is only used for archiving actual line-item records. You cannot enter periods if you are archiving plan line-item records (that is, when you enter record type 1 (plan records) or 3 (plan allocation records). If you do so, the system displays an error message.
You can enter either individual values or value intervals as selection criteria.
The system only archives data records that meet the selection criteria you enter in the variant.
Enter as many selection criteria as possible to reduce the processing time of the archiving program. You should always enter a ledger name and fiscal year.
You can only archive data records if the appropriate configuration settings are maintained in Customizing for Special Purpose Ledger.
For example, if you want to archive data records for ledger AB and version 007, the system first checks to see whether version 007 is assigned to ledger AB in Customizing. If this assignment is defined in Customizing, the system creates an archive file and archives the appropriate data records. If the assignment is not defined, data records are not archived for the combination ledger AB/version 007.
Document Selection Criteria
You only enter document selection criteria if you are archiving line-item records (and not summary records).
You can enter either individual values or value intervals as document selection criteria.
The system only archives the line-item records that meet the selection criteria you enter in the variant.
· Select Output combination list only if you want the system to display a list of the Customizing combinations that would be archived using the selection criteria you enter. The archive run is not executed. Only the transaction data found for these Customizing combinations would be archived and then deleted from your system.
You can only archive data records if the appropriate configuration settings are defined and maintained in Customizing for Special Purpose Ledger.
For example, if records have already been posted for the combination ledger AB and version 007, but the assignment of version 007 to ledger AB is later deleted in Customizing, the data records for ledger AB/version 007 are not listed in the combination list and are not archived.
You can use the Ledger statistics function (by choosing Tools ® Ledger statistics on the Special Purpose Ledger screen) to detect any differences in the number of data records that meet your archiving selection criteria. In the above example, the Ledger statistics function would output statistics on the data records for ledger AB and version 007, including those records posted before the assignment was deleted.
· Select Test run if you want to start the archiving program in test mode for the selection criteria you enter. The system reads the transaction data, but does not create an archive file. The system displays statistics on the number of data records read during the test run.
· Select Archive without database update if you want to start the archiving program and create an archive file for the selection criteria you enter. Transaction data is not deleted from the database.
· Select Archive with database update if you want to start the archiving program and create an archive file for the selection criteria you enter. Archived transaction data is deleted from the database.
The delete program is started using a variant. You can define the variant by choosing Goto ® Customizing on the Archive Management: Create Archive Files screen. It is important that you enter the correct variant for the production run.
Processing Options for Line-Item Records
When you archive line items, you have to specify how you want the system to sort and archive the line-item records:
· Select Unsorted archiving by package if you want the system to read and archive the line items that meet the selection criteria by package. The system does not sort and archive the line-item records by document number (that is, the records are not archived in a specific sequence). The system archives the records by table name only.
This type of archiving improves the performance of the archiving program.
When you archive line-item records by package, however, it is not possible to call up the individual documents via archive index tables.
· Select Archiving by document number if you want the system to read and archive the line items that meet the selection criteria by document number. The system sorts and archives the records by table, ledger, and document number.
Each document corresponds to one object within the sequential file.
When you archive line-item records by document number, the system creates an archive index, which allows you to call up the individual documents.
However, this type of archiving can impair system performance and can use a lot of memory space. It is therefore recommended that you first run the archiving program in test mode.
If you selected Test run, Archive without database update, or Archive with database update, you can specify whether you want to display a standard or extended log for each archive file created.
The default setting is the standard log (the Include Customizing list indicator is not set). The system displays the number of archiving objects for each archive by table name.
The extended log includes the information from the standard list plus statistics on the number of records found for each Customizing combination that meets the selection criteria you entered. If you want to display an extended log, set the Include Customizing list indicator.
For more information, see Archiving Log (FI-SL) .
You have to enter the package size for the records that are archived (by choosing Access parameters). The package size determines the number of records that are read for each database access.
If you selected Unsorted archiving by package, the package size also determines the number of archived line-item records per object within the sequential file.
The default package size is 10000. You can change the package size to meet your own requirements.
Maintaining Archiving Variant (FI-SL)